Admission Information

Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)


Q. How can I apply for Postgraduate International Research Student?

A. A person who has graduated or is expected to graduate from a university abroad (i.e., a person who has or will have completed 16 years of regular curricular studies with a bachelor’s degree) can apply for admission as a post graduate international student. Please obtain a prospective guidance professor’s guidance approval. Applicants are advised to make contact with the professor of the laboratory of desired choice. FACULTY AND FIELDS OF RESEARCH

Q. After period of a research student complete, can I apply for Master's/Doctoral program?

A. You can apply for Master’s/Doctoral program after completing period of research student.

Q. Are there any university scholarships available at the University of Tokyo?

A. There is a scholarship called "Scholarship for International Students, awarded by the University of Tokyo Foundation". This scholarship is provided for 30 students/year (1 student from Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences). There is another scholarship called “The University of Tokyo Special Scholarship for International Students (University of Tokyo Fellowship)” provided for 1 student from Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences. Monthly stipend is 150,000yen without tuition exemption.

Q. Are there any scholarships available from private foundations for which I can apply before coming to Japan?

A. There are a few scholarships you can apply before coming to Japan, but the number is very limited. Also, getting a scholarship is quite hard even after entering the university. Therefore, we recommend you to apply for Monbukagakusho Scholarship (MEXT) before you come to Japan. Please contact your local Japanese embassy or consulates.

Q. Is the certificate of "Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)" necessary to be submitted?

A. Yes. You must submit "Japanese Language Proficiency Test Certificate of Results and Scores or a Japanese Proficiency Level Certificate approved by the applicant’s instructor or equivalent authority.

Q. Is it possible to change the date of entrance from September 2016 to April 2017 after applying?

A. No. September 2016 applicants can not change the date of entrance to April 2017.

Q. Under some special conditions, is it possible to be accepted the application after the application period?

A. We do not accept the application after the application deadline under any circumstances.

Q. Is it possible to be returned all of the application documents submitted?

A. We do not return the application documents submitted under any circumstances.

Q. How can I obtain/submit application materials?

A. Before applying, applicants are advised to make contact with the professor of the laboratory of desired choice to obtain a prospective guidance professor’s guidance approval. To obtain application materials, please contact International Student Advising Room. Application must be sent to International Student Advising Room by registered mail during admission period.

Contact Address
International Student Advising Room
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113, Japan
Tel & Fax: +81-3-5841-4878

Q. I would like to know how to pay examination fee?.

A. Applicants are required to pay examination fee, entrance fee and tuition fee after being admitted to the University. You don’t need to pay examination fee at the time of application.

Q. I would like to know how much cost accommodation and living expenses.

A. The University of Tokyo operates five residences, Mitaka International Hall of Residence, Toshima International Hall of Residence, Oiwake International Hall of Residence, International Lodge(Komaba, Shiroganedai) areavailable to international students. The accommodations, however, are limited and most of the students live in private apartments outside campus. The average rent of private apartments is usually in the range of 40,000 to 80,000 yen per month and you will usually have to pay a deposit, key money, introduction fee and so on, usually requiring an initial payment of three to four months’ rent. Living expenses including housing, daily living, incidental expenses and study expense range from \80,000 to \130,000 a month.

Q. Can research students be allowed to obtain any discounts on passenger fare?

No. Research students may not buy a student commuter pass as they are not considered regular students. No student discount on passenger fare traveling on a JR train for more than 100 operating kilometers one way is available for research students.

↑ Page Top

Admission Information